Trust is a fundamental element between a polo horse and a polo player. Having a horse’s trust can both help you ride and play polo with more confidence as well as build a lasting relationship with the polo pony. Here’s how to earn a horse’s trust:
- The correct approach: approach the horse from the side, avoiding direct eye contact. Let them smell your hand to let them know you mean no harm.
- Spend time together: grooming is a very relaxing and necessary process for horses, particularly polo horses who need more care.
- Build a relationship: giving them treats and showing them love is a great way to learn more about their personality.
- Walk with them: before playing polo or even riding them it’s best to first walk with them, so they can get comfortable with your presence.
- Play Polo: polo is a great sport to earn a horse’s trust! Polo players spend a lot of time horseback riding, grooming, and caring for their horses. This helps form a strong bond in no time!
If you’d like to put these tips to the test, try our Polo Day experience! A full polo day to not only earn a horse’s trust, but learn the secrets of the fascinating sport of polo in Argentina!